EGC Clambake For August 29, 2006

Posted on August 29, 2006
Filed Under audio | 10 Comments

Here is the Bittorrent link and direct MP3 download for the EGC clambake for August 29, 2006.

I decide on the spur of the moment to throw myself a second anniversary bash for this podcast (which began on August 20, 2004 – we start the party early around here, you frigging late-comers). I play the music of friends of the show – Paul Melancon, Rocket City Riot, Jonathan Coulton, the Gentle Readers, Steadman and Michelle Malone. I talk in the interstitial bits about life and love and loss, about why I podcast and why I care and who I care about and why we all need the little bits of joy we can scrape up in this shitty life we are in. Thanks for sticking with me, on to the next two years and beyond.

You can subscribe to this feed via RSS.

To sponsor the show, contact BackBeat Media. Don’t forget, you can fly your EGC flag by buying the stuff package. This show as a whole is Creative Commons licensed Attribution-NonCommercial 2.5.

Links mentioned in this episode:

PlayPlay
Tags: , , , , ,

Comments

10 Responses to “EGC Clambake For August 29, 2006”

1. Mark Forman on August 30th, 2006 1:30 am

Well this is a pleasant surprise. Let me be the first to congratulate you. I’m excited about hearing interviews with several guests I had not heard before. Many happy returns.

3. Mark Forman on August 30th, 2006 2:43 am

Well guess I misunderstood-I thought you were going to do t least snippets of those inteviews. All the better-now I’ll have to motivate my lazy ass to go archive diving through your site.

The best part-now that I’ve listened to show is, ready-ok: Dave Slusher you are our ambassador of the anti-douche bag podcast.

5. dave on August 30th, 2006 6:10 am

Mark, I could do that but that’s, like, a lot of work. I did this show with literally 4 minutes of preparation when the opportunity to do it arose. All of that 4 minutes went into selecting the tracks, and then everything I said from beginning to end of was letting it fly and speaking from the lizard brain. It actually turned out quite well, I thought.

7. Mark Forman on August 30th, 2006 3:43 pm

FYI-I was just thinking out loud and voicing my original incorrect reading of show notes-no veiled complaint. Point well taken on the amount of production work that interview snippet format would entail. It did turn out very well and I look forward to going back to those Paul, Lee, and Michelle interviews.

As far as I know your claim on JoCo is a valid one-I’m sure he’d substantiate that as well.

9. Rob on August 30th, 2006 11:52 pm

Hey Dave… good job at 2 years of audations* and sorry to hear about your dog, glad Ernesto won’t be too major. I loved this enough to transcribe it, hope that’s OK.

“Here’s why I bother: because this is a lonely, cold fucking world and it’s a shitty fucking life, and if every now and then I can sit down and spill my guts for half an hour or 45 minutes and it makes me feel a little better… and if somebody out there can hear it and it makes them feel a little better and they feel a little connected and they write me or they send me an audio comment… and I feel like there’s somebody out there that feels the same thing I do, and that understands and was enlightened by what I said, or will enlighten me… or just that I matter to somebody and that somebody matters to me, that is fucking priceless…”

Yeah dude, you matter to me and have made the journey far more interesting… best wishes for your third year, best yet!

* Darn that’s not quite right, what was that goofy not-podcast idea that you ripped on in about episode 95?

11. Ken Nelson on August 31st, 2006 6:35 pm

Rob:

I think the word you seek is “audication”, coined back in the day when everyone was asking “Is podcast the proper term?”

Dave mentioned that term in one of his shows, and as I recall, had a major battle trying to stave off uncontrollable laughter.

The comments on that show were good, too, BTW.

–Ken–

13. Ken Nelson on August 31st, 2006 6:39 pm

Here’s the link: http://evilgeniuschronicles.org/2005/02/20/egc-clambake-episode-for-feb-18-2005/

EGC was Blosxom-powered than; comments could be titled. As I recall, my comment started “If you Audicate too much … “, or something similar, followed by the comment body which survived the blog’s WP conversion.

–Ken–

15. Mark Forman’s Getting a Leg Up Podcast :: Message from the Shogunate on September 3rd, 2006 12:18 am

[…] The Shogunate declares this Blue Wave worthy: Pitchfork , James Spooner, AfroPunk interview on SmallWorld , 2nd Anniversary EvilGenius Show-Kudos Dave! , John Jacobs Interview on DeadPan . […]

17. Ken Nelson on September 3rd, 2006 5:18 pm

OK, a proper comment after hearing the show. An excellent recap of the two years. The music, the remembrances, were great. I proffer only one suggestion: Please interview the Siderunners, so we can hear ’em on the 3 year show. 😉

Good job, and keep up the fine work. SWMBO and I listened to this one the way we used to do it; just let the MP3 stream, hovered around the computer.

-k-

19. Dave is why I listen « Andy’s blog on September 11th, 2006 3:45 am

[…] I was listening to the Evil Genius Chronicles, specifically an episode from 2 weeks ago which was Dave’s 2-year podcast anniversary. It’s good, as podcasts go, and while it’s far more music-heavy than most episodes it’s a good example of the show. It’s also not work safe, he’s not afraid to use a little profanity when appropriate. […]