Blacklisted

Posted on December 21, 2007
Filed Under podcasting, radio | 10 Comments

One of the best things that has happened to me in the new media era is that I occasionally get to talk to Tony Kahn. I love that guy as a person, as a broadcaster and as a wit. A while ago he was nice enough to give me a copy of the series he produced in the mid 90’s called Blacklisted. It is his recollection of his childhood and the period when his screenwriter father was being pursued by the House Unamerican Activities Committee and was literally blacklisted, hence the title. It’s the kind of thing that is sadly relevant in our modern day.

At the time, it was only available for purchase from Audible but I just found out that it is now available for free download from WGBH. My friends, you now have no excuse to not listen to this. It is 6 30 minute episodes, a week or less of a most people’s commute time. I urge everyone to give it a spin. It’s well produced, touching and infuriating material. Let’s remember history lest we be doomed to repeat it. Thank you Tony and thank you WGBH for giving this series distribution in this form. It is a great holiday present to all of us in the new mediasphere.

Tags: ,

Comments

10 Responses to “Blacklisted”

1. zgatt on December 21st, 2007 12:16 pm

> It’s the kind of thing that is sadly relevant
    > in our modern day.

Very ironic, all the more so for it’s being unintended. The closest thing to getting on a media blacklist these days is not being anti-government enough.
    I can virtually hear you scoff, but I challenge you to list a single serious “relevant” example “in our day”.

3. Ewan Spence on December 21st, 2007 3:52 pm

Dave, a recommendation from you is going straight into the OPML with no questions asked. Thanks.

5. dave on December 21st, 2007 6:32 pm

Jim, your antagonism is tabled until after xmas.

Ewan, do let me know what you think. Since this is a show with all episodes already published, you might need to give your podcatcher of choice a kick to get them all. I thought the series was heartrendingly fabulous.

7. The All New Ewan’s Musings » Blog Archive » links for 2007-12-22 on December 22nd, 2007 12:23 am

[…] Blacklisted the Podcast Dave Slusher recommends a podcast by Tony Kahn on his father’s time in the 50s and the McCarthy HAWC committee. Slusher’s recommendations are treasured. Subscribed instantly (tags: hawc red podcast mccarth dave+slusher) […]

9. Ewan Spence on December 22nd, 2007 11:29 am

Dave, will do, although I’m savouring the episodes and listening when I can focus 100% – my morning coomute is about 20 yards to my office/spare room so I need to find other time!

11. dave on December 22nd, 2007 11:34 am

That’s an odd dynamic that I find sometimes too. The things I’m most interested in and enthused about take extra time to get to because I want to give them my full attention. Blocks of full attention are thin on the ground.

13. Chris C. on December 25th, 2007 12:47 pm

Thanks Dave, I’m downloading them now for listening this week. My mp3 que is going to get starved later this week because a couple of my favorite WREK shows (all that’s left now is Tuesday night plus Personality Crisis) are getting preempted by sports events, so I know I’ll get to listen to these soon. I hope I don’t crack up the car while listening — I’m particularly bad at driving while listening to people talking, much less talking myself …

Also, direct mp3 links since they are obfuscated at WGBH:

15. Chris C. on December 27th, 2007 9:39 am

Bah, I posted a comment here earlier this week and yer system ate it. When I tried to repost, it said “duplicate post”. Uh huh.

17. dave on December 27th, 2007 11:40 am

Chris, it was in the spam queue, presumably because your comment has 6 links in it. It was a duplicate, because the exact comment was already there in the system. If you submit a comment and it doesn’t show up, just drop me an email. They are very easy to find if you are looking for them and very hard to fish out otherwise.

After this, I went and checked for any more false positives. I had 435 messages in there, no other righteous ones, and it took 45 minutes of sifting to determine that. Just email me, it’s all it takes.

19. Chris C. on December 28th, 2007 8:57 am

Gotcha, thanks. Halfway through, good stuff.