Balticon 2009 in Strobe Flashes

Posted on May 27, 2009
Filed Under conventions | 6 Comments

Dave Slusher

I’m really bad at doing thorough con wrap-ups, as evidenced by the fact that I usually don’t actually finish them. I though about presenting my Balticon 2009 wrapup as a compressed novel in honor of the recently late but always great JG Ballard but that turned out to be really difficult. Imagine that. That is now a scratched idea.

I’ll present a series of snapshots of my weekend. It won’t be as exhaustive as I was exhausted. I met a whole lot of great people that were new to me and basically had a blast the whole time. As always, I missed a few names here and there and will forget to mention people and things. This cannot and will not be a complete document of the event, just a quick strobe light version of quick shots.

There is undoubtedly more, but I’ll publish now and make other posts later. Publish early, publish often, don’t sit on it waiting for perfection. That is what I preach, no? I had a great time. Thanks to everyone who invited me, made the con possible, talked to me, and so on. It was a great weekend, well worth the 9 hour drive each way.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Comments

6 Responses to “Balticon 2009 in Strobe Flashes”

1. Annie on May 27th, 2009 11:24 pm

It was great meeting you at Balti, Dave – we’ll have to hang out again.

Hopefully it won’t involve waiting forever for pizza. I prefer my pizza with a quickness. ;-)

3. dave on May 28th, 2009 6:31 pm

Annie, I had a great time in your charming presence. You are right on the pizza. We thought we were doing the local indies a solid, and look where it got us!

5. Chooch on June 1st, 2009 10:45 am

I’m really glad I met you at Balticon and enjoyed our conversation over a beer in the bathroom during the New Media party Saturday night.

No people, its not what you think! A man in a while jumpsuit with stick figure arms/legs and a man with a mexican wrestler mask can share a beverage in a bathroom w/o it being _weird_. No, really!

7. Earl Newton on June 2nd, 2009 4:06 am

Dave –

Awesome to meet you, sir. We need to touch base again, let me know how your project is coming.

Earl

9. dave on June 2nd, 2009 6:24 am

Chooch, it’s worth noting that the role of the bathroom in a hotel con party when the bathtub is full of beer is the same as that of the kitchen in a house party. It was great talking with you. I do imagine it looked odd to an outsider but what at an SF con doesn’t?

11. dave on June 2nd, 2009 6:25 am

Earl, thanks for all your help. You most of all of anyone at Balticon, after talking to you for 15 minutes I felt like we’d been friends for years. When the going gets tough on this project – and I know it will – I’ll think to myself “WWEND?”