Xmas Songs

Posted on December 3, 2014
Filed Under misc | 15 Comments

I did a good job of avoiding Xmas songs until after Thanksgiving. I’m OK with most of the traditional ones but the modern rock holiday songs are mostly dreadful beyond belief. I would prefer to never hear McCartney’s “Simply Having …” again in my life. The Eagles, etc etc are all terrible. I don’t even like the Springsteen version of “Santa Claus is Coming To Town”.

There are three modern holiday songs that always perk me up and I can listen to in whatever Target or Walgreens I find myself in without freaking out:

1) The Waitressess, “Xmas Wrappping”

2) Run DMC, “Xmas in Hollis”

3) Darlene Love, “Xmas Baby”

Tags: , , ,

Comments

15 Responses to “Xmas Songs”

1. Heiko Niemeier on December 3rd, 2014 10:46 am

The only christmas music I usually put on is “Christmas with the Puppini Sisters”. They are a UK-based 1940s-style harmony group, and I like their cover versions very much.

via plus.google.com

3. Jim Van Verth on December 3rd, 2014 11:29 am

I rather like No Doubt’s version of “Oi To the World.” I need to track down The Vandals’ album at some point. But you’re unlikely to hear either in Target or Walgreens.

via plus.google.com

5. Mike Dunn on December 3rd, 2014 12:26 pm

same on waitresses a fave

via facebook.com

7. Mike Dunn on December 3rd, 2014 12:27 pm

Mike Dunn liked this Article on facebook.com.

9. Crystal Neilson on December 3rd, 2014 1:37 pm

Crystal Neilson liked this Article on plus.google.com.

11. David Goliath on December 4th, 2014 9:53 am

How about thanks god it’s christmas – queen or santa baby – maddona

via plus.google.com

13. Susan Zee on December 4th, 2014 10:12 am

No love for The Kinks?

via facebook.com

15. Kathy Sheppard on December 4th, 2014 11:03 am

Kathy Sheppard reposted this Article on plus.google.com.

17. Dave Slusher on December 4th, 2014 9:20 pm

Tastes are individual, but no I don’t like “Father Xmas” either. Nor John Lennon’s or any of the 90s alt-rock covers of things like the Heatmiser song or the Grinch song.

via facebook.com

19. Susan Zee on December 4th, 2014 9:42 pm

No worries. I like Father Xmas myself, but it’s a once-or-maybe-twice per holiday kind of thing for me.
    The modern-ish holiday songs I dig are mostly the neo-swing stuff from Big Bad Voodoo Daddy and Brian Setzer Orchestra. But those aren’t in heavy rotation at Target or Walgreens. 😉

via facebook.com

21. Sheila Unwin on December 5th, 2014 8:56 am

Sheila Unwin liked this Article on facebook.com.

23. Dave Slusher on December 10th, 2014 7:59 pm

I have a candidate for a 4th: Billy Squier’s “Xmas is the time to say ‘I love you’ “. I don’t know if there is a studio version, the only one I know is him with Martha Quinn and the other VJs sitting at his feet like an Andy Williams special.

via facebook.com

25. James Slusher on December 10th, 2014 8:19 pm

I like the Bing and Bowie “little drummer boy” duet.

via facebook.com

27. Melissa A. Bartell on December 10th, 2014 8:36 pm

I have a special fondness for The Pogues’ “Fairytale of New York”

via facebook.com

29. Dave Slusher on December 10th, 2014 9:08 pm

James Slusher That is not one I enjoy on its own merits. The only thing I like about it is the weirdness. Also, from the time frame that would have to be around Station to Station era which album Bowie claims to have no recollections of recording. It’s possible he was wacked out of his skull and has no recollection of Bing Crosby either.

via facebook.com