Holiday Willpower

Posted on December 30, 2014
Filed Under life | 25 Comments

I went the entirety of the holiday season, from the middle of December to present, without eating a single sugary snack. No cookies, no brownies, no fudge. No white chocolate covered Oreos, no candy canes, no truffles, no gingerbread, no candy. This doesn’t necessarily make for the most festive season, but this year I felt it necessary.

The list above wasn’t plucked from nowhere. I had plenty of access to each of those things, and it wasn’t my lack of desire for them that kept me away. I didn’t feel like losing a grip on what little progress I have made with my weight so I stuck to the plan. I stayed away from the sugar and largely minimized the damage. I’m right around where I was before we left town to visit family. I didn’t make any progress, but neither did I lose ground. For this time of year, I’ll take that as a big win.

Comments

25 Responses to “Holiday Willpower”

1. J Wynia on December 30th, 2014 9:28 pm

You’re my fucking hero. I need to do this next year. The season from Halloween to New Years is always when I gain weight. It’s a stupid ratchet that needs reversing.

3. dave on December 30th, 2014 9:35 pm

J, the other aspect is that I find moderation way more difficult than prohibition. It was difficult to avoid the eating of this stuff. It would have been nigh unto impossible for me to eat one or two cookies then stop. Once I broke the seal, it would have been bedlam. So, not a one.

5. Richard Bensam on December 30th, 2014 9:50 pm

Richard Bensam liked this Article on plus.google.com.

7. Harold Chester on December 30th, 2014 9:51 pm

Harold Chester liked this Article on plus.google.com.

9. Darlene Lawson Slusher on December 30th, 2014 10:10 pm

Darlene Lawson Slusher liked this Article on facebook.com.

11. Lori A Stewart on December 30th, 2014 11:08 pm

Lori A Stewart liked this Article on facebook.com.

13. Grand Strand Bloggers » Blog Archive » Grand Strand Blog Roundup for 12/31/14 on December 31st, 2014 1:01 am

[…] Evil Genius Chronicles: Holiday Willpower […]

15. Shannon Nelson on December 31st, 2014 1:14 am

Shannon Nelson liked this Article on facebook.com.

17. Sylvia Trivett Hubble on December 31st, 2014 1:38 am

Sylvia Trivett Hubble liked this Article on facebook.com.

19. James Slusher on December 31st, 2014 5:43 am

James Slusher liked this Article on facebook.com.

21. Shawna Beck Lill on December 31st, 2014 7:49 am

Shawna Beck Lill liked this Article on facebook.com.

23. Nicole Maher on December 31st, 2014 8:13 am

Nicole Maher liked this Article on facebook.com.

25. Becky Billingsley on December 31st, 2014 8:19 am

Why did you feel it was necessary, Dave? For weight maintenance, or specific health concerns, or both?

via facebook.com

27. Becky Billingsley on December 31st, 2014 8:21 am

I’ve been trying hard to not overeat in the wake of quitting smoking. I’ve had a few chip binges, but was able to not overdo it with the sweets. Increasing power walks has helped a lot with the weight – I’ve even managed to shed a few pounds since quitting!

via facebook.com

29. Dave Slusher on December 31st, 2014 9:51 am

Good job, Becky Billingsley, keep it up! On the smoking and the weight, both good things.

via facebook.com

31. James Slusher on December 31st, 2014 9:55 am

I stopped eating wheat on the 26th. I made no other alterations to my diet and don’t go out of my way to avoid carbs themselves, just wheat-based foods. Amazing how much lower my average blood sugar is. I’m using about a third of the insulin I was. That is a very small sample size, though.

via facebook.com

33. Roger Yale on December 31st, 2014 10:01 am

Proud of you, Dave!

35. Becky Billingsley on December 31st, 2014 10:17 am

Becky Billingsley liked this Article on facebook.com.

37. Roger Yale on December 31st, 2014 10:18 am

Roger Yale liked this Article on facebook.com.

39. Chris Yale on December 31st, 2014 11:35 am

Chris Yale liked this Article on facebook.com.

41. Dane Scott on December 31st, 2014 2:41 pm

Dane Scott liked this Article on facebook.com.

43. Steve Holden on December 31st, 2014 8:02 pm

Steve Holden liked this Article on facebook.com.

45. Sharon Newman Setser on December 31st, 2014 9:42 pm

Sharon Newman Setser liked this Article on facebook.com.

47. Michael Santarcangelo on January 1st, 2015 3:09 am

Michael Santarcangelo liked this Article on plus.google.com.

49. Diana Schubert on January 1st, 2015 3:08 pm

Diana Schubert liked this Article on plus.google.com.