Pretending To Be An Artist

Posted on February 5, 2015
Filed Under arts | 9 Comments

2015-01-29 16.07.312015-01-25 23.05.302015-01-25 23.20.262015-01-26 00.39.41

A few weeks ago, we made the last minute decision to make Punkin a birthday card with some of her current favorite characters. I’m not an artist, but I know enough about comic books to understand the process and try to emulate it.

I tried to go through the standard cycle as a layman understands it. First I did a quick thumbnail on printer paper to make sure I understood the basic composition of the thing, and more importantly how I understood the sizes of the figures relative to each other.

After that, I took a folded piece of card stock and pencilled in the figures. When I felt good about that, I inked them. After that, I erased a little of my lines and passed it off to the colorist and letterer (which was mommy.) The final product looked pretty decent, if we do say so ourselves. It was a lot of work and made for a later night than anticipated but it was probably easier than trying find a card with the right set of characters. Considering the front is a Paw Patrol character and the inside is a mix of Octonauts and Mickey Mouse, that was probably impossible.

Tags: , , , ,

Comments

9 Responses to “Pretending To Be An Artist”

1. Dave Slusher on February 5th, 2015 11:02 am

You have to follow to the blog post to see all the pictures, since Facebook only pulled in the first image.

via facebook.com

3. Dave Slusher on February 5th, 2015 11:05 am

It requires going to the blog post to see the whole set. Oddly, G+ pulled in the last image and Facebook the first.

via plus.google.com

5. Harold Chester on February 5th, 2015 11:36 am

Harold Chester liked this Article on plus.google.com.

7. Linda Tewes on February 5th, 2015 11:36 am

Linda Tewes liked this Article on plus.google.com.

9. Ken Kennedy on February 5th, 2015 11:54 am

Ken Kennedy liked this Article on plus.google.com.

11. Richard Bensam on February 5th, 2015 1:44 pm

Something I learned by accident because G+ apparently wants its interface to be a source of surprises: when you post a link from a web page with multiple images as here, before you publish the post you can select the preview image displayed with the post.  When you hover the cursor over the image, little forward and back buttons appear allowing you to cycle through whatever G+ recognizes as an available image.  This option isn’t available after the G+ post is published, however, so you can’t go back and edit something that already has the wrong image.  Just one more way G+ posting options are obscure and puzzling…

via plus.google.com

13. Dave Slusher on February 5th, 2015 2:08 pm

+Richard Bensam I’m not posting manually. That was my WordPress blog automatically pushing to G+. In this case, I like the last image better because the first is just my very loose thumbnails which doesn’t look like much in a tiny image.

via plus.google.com

15. Derek Coward on February 5th, 2015 3:53 pm

Derek Coward liked this Article on facebook.com.

17. Sharon Newman Setser on February 5th, 2015 10:15 pm

Sharon Newman Setser liked this Article on facebook.com.