Editing Fun

Posted on March 30, 2015
Filed Under podcasting | 11 Comments

I am working on the podcast with my friends from Beyond the Wall. It is a big scale, long duration job editing a 150 minute conversation with five people. Additionally, at patron request I am for the first time adding in chapter marks for the conversation. That’s another big job as well as completely new functionality to me. It’s a job on its own separately from trying to cull all links for the show notes and fixing any sound glitches.

Despite all that, just listening back to this is making me about as happy as I was recording it in the first place. I will really be interested in listener feedback on this one. I can’t tell if this is objectively good or if it is just a memento of getting to spend an evening discussing a subject I enjoy with people I enjoy. We shall see. For those that like it, you will get a lot of it to like. Lengthwise this episode is to my typical episodes as Song of Ice and Fire is to ordinary fantasy series.

The one thing I am pleased with is how well the conversation went with such a large panel. By being explicit traffic cop and directing the question to specific people as it went, there is way less talking over each other than you’d expect in this situation. I expected I would have to fix some crosstalk as best I could, but there has been practically none. Color me pleasantly surprised.

Tags: ,

Comments

11 Responses to “Editing Fun”

1. Vivid Muse on March 31st, 2015 12:15 am

It was great fun, even just from what I remember! Annnnd now you have to come on Consumption to talk comics. Or did I forget to negotiate that part in advance? Hmmmmnm?

3. Nunuche Nuchtchas on March 31st, 2015 2:52 am

We used to cross talk a lot more, but it’s hard sometimes even now that we are better about it. You were good with the direction.

5. Dave Slusher on March 31st, 2015 9:11 am

It helped a lot that as a group you were so familiar with each other. This was basically an extension of what you already do.
    I did approach it the way I moderate panels at conventions. I go out of my way to make sure everyone gets to speak that wants to. That reduces the pressure for people to jump in when they are comfortable that they will always get their time.
    This show also shows the wisdom of recording in separated stereo tracks. Y’all were in one channel and I was in the other, and ALL of the extraneous noise came from me. Separated it was easy to fix, if they were mashed together it would be impossible.

7. Dave Slusher on March 31st, 2015 9:20 am

Vivid Muse I would love to. Let me know when you want me and we can work out a time.

9. Dave Slusher on March 31st, 2015 9:03 pm

The show is up for the Patrons, everyone else will get it on Thursday morning, regular bat-time.

11. Jasper Borgman on March 31st, 2015 9:08 pm

Who is in “the group”? Did you guys review “Knight Riders”?
    That would be true entertainment my friend

13. Jasper Borgman on March 31st, 2015 9:09 pm

Jasper Borgman liked this Article on facebook.com.

15. Chris Yale on March 31st, 2015 9:09 pm

Chris Yale liked this Article on facebook.com.

17. Dave Slusher on March 31st, 2015 9:13 pm

Jasper Borgman It is the people from http://specficmedia.com/podcast/btw/ Almost all Game of Thrones talk with a slight digression into The Flash, Agents of Shield, Justified and a few other side topics.

19. Sharon Newman Setser on March 31st, 2015 9:49 pm

Sharon Newman Setser liked this Article on facebook.com.

21. Grand Strand Bloggers » Blog Archive » Grand Strand Blog Roundup for 04/02/15 on April 1st, 2015 8:04 pm

[…] Evil Genius Chronicles: Editing Fun […]