Maddest Max

Posted on May 31, 2015
Filed Under tweets | 16 Comments

I’m trying to decide if Mad Max: Fury Road is the best action movie of all time, or the best movie of all time.

Tags: ,

Comments

16 Responses to “Maddest Max”

1. Hugh Hubble Hugh Hubble on May 31st, 2015 10:12 am

We are planning to go see it this week.

3. Kristen Jones Kristen Jones on May 31st, 2015 10:28 am

It was easily the best movie of all time.

5. James Slusher James Slusher on May 31st, 2015 10:38 am

You’ve talked me into going to the 1:30 showing.

7. Andre Pope Andre Pope on May 31st, 2015 10:43 am

That’s a old statement. Got my interest peaked.

9. Dave Slusher Dave Slusher on May 31st, 2015 10:56 am

It is remarkable how many satisfying character arcs there are in a movie that is 75% or more action, how good the characterization is with really not a lot of dialog, and how none of the action gets repetitive or overkill despite seeing 100 minutes of it. This is, like, better than Lawrence of Arabia good.

11. Paul Reynolds Paul Reynolds on May 31st, 2015 11:09 am

Minimal blatant product placement (maybe none?) and not trying to tie into current tech/culture made it feel like a timeless instant classic to me.

13. Dave Slusher Dave Slusher on May 31st, 2015 11:11 am

Product placement for Marshall stacks? I am kicking myself for not recognizing the hand of Brendan McCarthy in this. I’ve been reading his insane comics since I was a teenager. The guitarist is totally out of his playbook.

15. Dave Slusher Dave Slusher on May 31st, 2015 11:19 am

I haven’t seen the Road Warrior in at least 20 years, but it randomly was on at the gym last week. Having just seen the scene where he loses his car in that movie, the opening of Fury Road is almost a shot for shot remake of that sequence. When the hand came out of the car, I thought, wow, did George Miller really just do that? Ballsy. It got much better from even there.

17. Jason Pinkey Jason Pinkey on May 31st, 2015 11:26 am

Wow. You’ve talked me in to seeing it as well.

19. Jason Pinkey Jason Pinkey on May 31st, 2015 11:26 am

You getting a kickback?

21. Suzann Jackson Smith Suzann Jackson Smith on May 31st, 2015 11:29 am

It was so good!

23. Kelley Eskridge Kelley Eskridge on May 31st, 2015 1:34 pm

I can’t wait to see this movie!

25. Rob Usdin Rob Usdin on May 31st, 2015 1:59 pm

I thought it was good but not THAT good.

27. Timothy Bennett Timothy Bennett on May 31st, 2015 4:40 pm

The Road Warrior is my all time fav movie and I believe it was 33 years ago this summer that Jack Johnson and I walked into the Gateway theatre in Decatur, AL unaware of what we were about to witness. I’ve been waiting for Fury Road all my life. And it was as good/better than RW. Phenomenal.

29. Dave Slusher Dave Slusher on May 31st, 2015 9:30 pm

Timothy Bennett I think if you do an evening of watching them both back to back, there will be no doubt that Fury Road is better.

31. Dave Slusher Dave Slusher on May 31st, 2015 9:31 pm

Another impressive feat is that it is an incredibly political movie, without any dilution in the core mission of showing crazy people driving souped up jalopies and shooting at each other.