New Writing Goals

Posted on January 9, 2016
Filed Under writing | 8 Comments

As discussed on my soon to publish podcast and on the Kindle Chronicles podcast, I am holding myself to some new writing goals. When I wake up, I go immediately to the keyboard and write for 30 minutes with the goal of getting 281 words of first draft fiction written a day, every day. This doesn’t count blogging or any of the other words I type in a day, only potentially publishable fiction.

If you multiply this out, I’m shooting for 2,000 words a week. If I can do this each and every week, that’s a novel or a novel equivalent every year. The goals are so modest as to be trivial and thus far have been quite achievable.

I only started this on Thursday, so I have three days under my belt. Those have been 386, 551, and 570 so I have just over 1500 on the week, even with the week having a three day head start on me. For any week I fall short of the 2,000 words I will spend my Sunday evening making them up but it looks like that might not be common. Here’s hoping.

I think as part of my public accountability/working in public, each Sunday evening I will post here what the weekly word count was coming into the evening and whether or not I have makeup work to do. Maybe no one cares that much, but holding myself to account helps keep it all working. Here we go!

8 Responses to “New Writing Goals”

1. J. Steven York on January 9th, 2016 3:44 pm

281words? Why the odd number? Just curious…

— via

3. Dave Slusher on January 9th, 2016 4:30 pm

As I state a few sentences later “If you multiply this out, I’m shooting for 2,000 words a week.Ā “

— via

5. J. Steven York on January 9th, 2016 4:33 pm

Oh, duh. I blame superficial phone reading. At least I got “281.” šŸ™‚

— via

7. Dave Slusher on January 9th, 2016 7:57 pm

No problems. The words are flowing pretty well right now. We will see what happens when I outrun the stories I’ve been thinking about for years.

— via

9. Kelley Eskridge Kelley Eskridge on January 9th, 2016 8:17 pm

I care. You GO. Hugs

11. Dave Slusher Dave Slusher on January 10th, 2016 8:03 am

Thank you, dear. There have been really long interruptions (like decades) but this was never something I didn’t want to do, just something I wasn’t doing. I need to bridge that gap – always smaller than it seems – from desire to action.

13. J. Steven York on January 10th, 2016 1:40 am

Well, good luck with it! (Okay, not much luck involved. “Good resolve to you.”)

— via

15. Dave Slusher on January 10th, 2016 9:16 am

I like “Good resolve.” Of course week 1 is easy, week 1 of anything is easy. You’ve got all the enthusiasm and endorphins. It’s week 17 and week 41 you have to worry about.

— via