Notes from the Lockdown

Posted on March 1, 2016
Filed Under tweets | 15 Comments

I didn’t realize until today that the Oscars happened. I still have no idea what won any award. My media lockdown is working swimmingly.

Comments

15 Responses to “Notes from the Lockdown”

1. Raymond McVay on March 2nd, 2016 12:39 am

Raymond McVay liked this Article on plus.google.com

3. Jonathan Black on March 2nd, 2016 3:11 am

Jonathan Black liked this Article on plus.google.com

5. Dave Slusher Dave Slusher on March 2nd, 2016 9:25 am

Ever since the one-two punch of Million Dollar Baby and Crash, both of which won Best Picture and both of which I didn’t even think were good, I’ve paid no attention to films based on respect from the academy.

I’ve seen Fury Road, I’ve heard of Ms Simone, never even heard of Spotlight. Here’s what I saw in theaters in calendar 2015: Fury Road, Ant Man, Avengers 2. I may try to go to Deadpool tonight. If I get the rare chance to drag my ass to the cinema, I don’t plan on burning it on some important message movie about injustice. I want it to be one where the giant screen is part of the experience.

That said, if I could have seen the Jimi Hendrix movie with Andre 3000 in it in the theater, I would have.

7. Derek Coward Derek Coward on March 2nd, 2016 9:28 am
  9. Derek Coward on March 2nd, 2016 9:34 am

This is the only Oscar news I cared about: http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/news/forget-leo-ennio-morricone-finally-won-an-oscar-after-500-movie-credits-a6904671.html

Ennio Morricone finally winning for The Hateful Eight.

11. Dave Slusher Dave Slusher on March 2nd, 2016 12:44 pm

If Morricone just won his first Oscar, that is not a success story.

This goes to why I hate ALL awards for creative output. I don’t believe in the Tonies, Grammies, Emmies, Oscars or anything. When it comes to podcasting awards, forget it. As I pointed out, I flat hated and thought were bad films two successive Best Picture *winners*. I don’t care about the voting of old movie industry people, it is pretty irrelevant to me.

13. Derek Coward Derek Coward on March 2nd, 2016 12:52 pm

When you first called them The Podcast Circle Jerk was when I looked at all industry awards in pretty much the same light.

15. Dave Slusher Dave Slusher on March 2nd, 2016 1:04 pm

A lot of the things I think are the “best” are because of the risks they take and the limbs they are willing to go out on. By very nature, that means they tend not to win awards in whatever medium they are from.

17. Derek Coward Derek Coward on March 2nd, 2016 1:22 pm

I can see that. I wouldn’t say you have contempt for the mainstream, but I could see you choosing the dog with three legs.

19. PJ Cabrera PJ Cabrera on March 2nd, 2016 1:08 pm

Thanks to my podcast buddy Dave, I am proud to count “circle jerk” in my vocabulary ?

21. Ken Kennedy on March 3rd, 2016 4:22 pm

Ken Kennedy liked this Article on plus.google.com

23. Jess Nut on March 3rd, 2016 4:51 pm

The only thing you need to know is that Leo got his Oscar… ruining internet memes.

— via plus.google.com

25. Jess Nut on March 3rd, 2016 5:21 pm

Jess Nut liked this Article on plus.google.com

27. Dave Slusher on March 3rd, 2016 8:22 pm

I don’t even know what he was nominated for. You don’t need to tell me, I don’t care. This is part of a strategy.

— via plus.google.com

29. Jess Nut on March 4th, 2016 12:32 am

I wasn’t going to tell you anyway. ūüėõ

— via plus.google.com