Over the course of this weekend, I will be removing the bittorrents from my site. It is going to be quite the pain in the ass, as I’m going to edit every one of the 200 posts with a torrent as well as its enclosure metadata. Hopefully PodPress will make this easy. I’m not that familiar with it but I am happy to get moreso.
In the process, I’m going to simplify all the feeds. When I am done, the one and only feed anyone should subscribe to is http://www.evilgeniuschronicles.org/audio/podcast.xml . One of the biggest mistakes I made early on in this podcast was not picking a single feed URL outside of any blogging software and using it uniformly without ever changing. I sure wish I had. I learned early on that using the built in WordPress feed as the podcast feed was very bad, as it requires WordPress to assemble it (and hit the database, etc) every single time a podcatcher hits it, which can be several times a day or even every hour for every single person subscribed to you. It is much better to have a static text file that is your primary podcast feed, even if you use WordPress to assemble it as I do.
I’m slightly sad about the end of the bittorrent era on this podcast, but not much more than that. The bittorrents have gotten less and less use for the last 2 years, and now that Bittorrent.com isn’t really a scrappy project fighting the power anymore, there is no reason for me to fight the power. It’s time for me to do some things the easy way.